To be considered for the study you must:
- Be at least 4 months post cancer treatment (chemotherapy, radiation, surgery). HRT acceptable.
- Not anticipate having surgery within the next 6 months (outpatient breast reconstructive surgery acceptable).
- Not be following a special diet, e.g. gluten free, casein free, dairy free, vegetarian etc.
- Not have lost 4 or more pounds within the past month.
- Not be taking or be willing to cease taking weight loss medications.
- Not being treated for diabetes.
- Not have HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, digestive problems such as IBS or Crohn’s disease.
- Not have had any GI surgery (gastric bypass, lap-band, bowel resection, colostomy, etc.)
- Not have an eating disorder.
- Not have any electronic devices implanted in your body (e.g. pacemaker, vagus nerve stimulator)
- Not use any tobacco products.
- Be willing to follow the diet prescribed, including alcohol restrictions (no more than 1 standard drink per day).
- Be willing and able to increase physical activity and wear a pedometer every day.
- Be willing to wear a heart rate device continuously 24/7 for one week at the start and end of the study, and in the middle of the study if required (up to 3 weeks total).
- Be willing to wear a swim suit or body suit and cap for body composition testing every month.
- Be willing to record your food intake and steps daily.
- Be willing to attend RMCC at Rose Medical Center every other week for individual and group visits.
- Be willing to provide 3 urine samples and fasting (12 hours) blood samples 7 times throughout the study.
- Be willing to make the commitment it takes to lose weight for this study.
- Have obtained approval to participate in this study from your primary care physician.